For the past ten years, the Special Education Department of Ionia County Intermediate School District has operated from a five-year plan consisting of a set of department goals. These goals are revised and updated annually with the assistance of ISD staff, our local districts partners and parents. The following are the 2006-2011 Special education Department Goals.
- Implement and maintain the Instructional Consultation Team Process in all elementary schools country-wide.
- Review of services provided to students with Aspergers.
- Coordinate and collaborate with general education regarding the achievement gap between general and special education and its impact on high school reform, student achievement, graduation rates, dropout rates, and AYP:
- Efforts will be made to reduce special education eligibility rates and increase the amount of the time special education students spend in general education;
- Collaborative meetings with the special education coordinators and the general education curriculum coordinators.
- Examine the servicing of special education students in alternative education settings.
- Implement process and procedures for birth to five special education programs in meeting the state and federal standards in the areas of :
- Federal outcomes;
- Natural environments;
- Michigan Merit Exam (MME) & ACT Accommodations
- Update Ionia County Special Education Procedures manual and provide training to appropriate staff..
- Provide support for continued county-wide high school reform.
- Adapt and implement an electronic IEP.
- Develop a committee to investigate inservice options for educating staff on the understanding, utilization, and display of data.
- Create a county-wide special education list-serve via ISD.
- Follow-up study of special education high school graduates (completers in Ionia County Intermediate School District.)
- Follow-up study of SHARE graduates to assess effectiveness of interventions.
- Training for general education staff on the learning needs of exceptional learners (to include ADHD/OHI guidelines and procedures.)
- Expand transition options for SEI/EI students. (In Progress)
- Training for special education staff on assessment procedures to evaluate IEP goals.
- Develop Ionia County Intermediate School District Resource room Curriculum Frameworks Guide. (In Progress)
- Provide training on Section 504 requirements/policies.
- Expand use of student-led IEP’s at the middle school and high school levels. (In Progress)
- Study committee to review best practice in the Early Childhood Development Delay (ECDD) programs and make recommendations for changes to current local district programming.
- Train ISD / local special education / general education staff on required IDEA 2004 changes.